This is from the Sofra Bakery, and it's the best I've ever tasted:
3/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup molasses
1 cup sugar, plus additional sugar for cookies
1 large egg
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1. Combine all dry ingredients, except sugar. Set aside.
2. Combine oil, molasses, sugar, and egg in bowl of a stand mixer. Paddle on medium speed until smooth. Be careful not to incorporate too much air. Mix 15-20 seconds (or vigorously by hand).
3. Add dry ingredients and mix until well-combined, about 20 seconds. Chill dough until it reaches room temperature, about 2 hours. If preparing dough in advance, freeze so the oil doesn't separate.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using a small scoop, place formed dough into a bowl of granulated sugar to coat.
5. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet 1/2 inch apart. Bake 12-15 minutes. Cookies will appear underdone.
[I like to use brown sugar instead, and I don't bother to roll the dough in sugar before baking.]